By 1822 commercial trade on Lake Ontario was growing steadily. A new lighthouse was built to guide ships past the treacherous bar at the mouth of the Genesee River into the Port of Rochester. The tower was built in what was then the village of Charlotte. The new stone lighthouse was forty feet high and lit by ten Argand lamps fueled with whale oil. The lighthouse remained in service until 1881.
Close Window to Return to the Online Galleries for Additional Viewing or Purchases
Send an email, including title and photographer, for requests to use the digital image file in publications or websites.